Jillian Barron is a shareholder with SEBRIS BUSTO JAMES. She assists employers in developing effective, legally compliant employment policies and resolving emergent problems. She has successfully represented clients in trial and appellate courts, arbitrations, mediations, and administrative agency proceedings. Jillian also conducts workplace investigations for public and private employers, and serves as a mediator and arbitrator. She is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, is rated AV by Martindale Hubbell, and has been named a “Super Lawyer” by Washington Law & Politics magazine. Jillian also has received Avvo’s highest rating for attorneys.
- Counseling on Employment Policies and Practices
- Discipline and Discharge Issues
- Wage and Hour Matters
- Employment, Severance, and Non-Competition Agreements
- Disability Accommodation
- Discrimination and Harassment Charges
- Employment-Related Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Employer Representation in Labor Arbitrations
- Neutral Workplace Investigations
- Mediation of Workplace and Employment-Related Disputes
Jillian is Co-Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Washington. She serves as a mediator for community-based dispute resolution centers and the Seattle Federal Executive Board, and as a volunteer attorney at one of the King County Bar Association’s neighborhood legal clinics. She serves as an arbitrator for Superior Court cases subject to mandatory arbitration. She is a past member of the Executive Committee of the Washington State Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section. Jillian has also served as the Secretary and the President of the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, a member of its Board of Trustees, and Chair of its Employment Law Section.
Educational & Work Background
Jillian attended Reed College and received a B.A. in Fine Arts from Alfred University. She received her J.D. in 1988 from Columbia University School of Law, where she was a Kent Scholar, a Stone Scholar, Head Articles Editor of the Journal of Transnational Law, and was awarded the Milton B. Conford prize for Jurisprudence. In 1988, Jillian also received a Masters Degree in International Affairs from the Columbia School of International and Public Affairs.
Prior to joining SEBRIS BUSTO JAMES, Jillian was an associate at the Preston Thorgrimson firm for several years, then served as a career law clerk for Judge Eldon B. Mahon of the U.S. District Court in Fort Worth, Texas. Before attending law school, Jillian was a chef in several well-respected restaurants.
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Federal Labor and Employment Case Law”, Washington State Bar Association Eleventh Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, October 10, 2011
- Speaker, “In the Now: Recent Developments in GINA, Registered Domestic Partnerships, Disability Law, and Social Media,” Skagit Island Human Resource Management Association, September 8, 2011
- Speaker, “Federal and State Disability and Related Leave Laws: A Survey of the New Landscape,” Washington State Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Bootcamp, July 7, 2011
- Speaker, “The ADA and WLAD Amendments: A Survey of the ‘New’ Disability Landscape”, Washington State Bar Association 18th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 29, 2011
- Speaker, “The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act and The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program’s Expanded Jurisdiction Over Health Care Providers,” Washington State Healthcare Human Resources Association Spring Conference, April 28, 2011
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Federal Employment Law”, Washington State Bar Association Tenth Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, November 12, 2010
- Speaker, “Noncompetition Agreements in Washington State” and “Wage and Hour Law Developments,” presentation to King County Judges, June 21, 2010
- Speaker, “Thorny Issues in Wage and Hour Law: Developments and Conundrums”, Washington State Bar Association 17th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 30, 2010
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Federal Employment Law”, Washington State Bar Association Ninth Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, November 6, 2009
- Speaker, “Recent Changes to the ADA and FMLA and Their Impact on Employers”, American Constitution Society, Seattle University Chapter, January 26, 2009
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Federal Employment Law”, Washington State Bar Association Eighth Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, November 12, 2008
- Speaker, “New State Legislation Affecting the Employment Relationship”, Employment and Labor Law Section Meeting, Washington State Bar Association, July 5, 2007
- Speaker, “Employment Discrimination—Legislative Changes, Evolving Issues”, presentation for King County Judges, June 2007
- Speaker, “Avoiding High Jury Awards in Employment Law Cases: Lessons from Chuck E. Cheese’s”, 2005 Annual Convention, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, July 28-31, 2005
- Speaker, “The Beginning, Middle, and End of the Employment Relationship”, 2004 Home Association of Washington Annual Conference and Tradeshow, May 5-7, 2004
- Speaker, “Hot Topics in Employment Law”, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL) Practice Development Committee, March 4, 2004